How to turn off the number count on the Facebook like button

3 Sep
2011

Here’s how to turn off the number count on the Facebook like button. We’ll go from the image on the left to the image on the right in 5 minutes:

Facebook Like with counter

Facebook Like without counter

Get your FB Like code

Get the iframe version. Set width to 56 and all options off.

Enclose your FB iframe in a div

Let’s get your iframe encapsulated by a div:

This is the important bit – set negative margin on your iframe

As the bit we want to see is at the bottom of the iframe, we need to hide the top of it. We do this by using negative margin, like so:

Screen shot 2013-08-06 at 12.58.47

Easy peasy

9 Responses to How to turn off the number count on the Facebook like button

John

November 13th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Someone should shoot you in the face for such a worthless post. Take this down please.

admin

November 13th, 2012 at 9:03 pm

@john luckily for me, the gun laws in the UK are a bit stricter than in North Carolina, you crazy bumpkin.

I always appreciate constructive criticism and it’s been a while since I wrote the post, so I’ve just revisited. To be honest, it looks like it could do with warming over a bit, so thanks for mentioning it. Expect a warmed-over version up soon…

admin

November 13th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

@john should be a little easier to understand now. If not, I’ll contact you on nonstop3999@yahoo.com to deliver the good news!

Alan

December 2nd, 2012 at 10:41 am

I just wanted to say “Thank you” for this post. I had been trying to work out how to clip the facebook image for quite some time today, and after following your post it has worked. I ended up reducing the width to 52px to leave only the button.

Thanks for this, it’s been a great help :)

admin

December 4th, 2012 at 7:57 am

@alan thanks for your comment.

Obviously a divisive article, this: first guy wants to shoot me in the face, 2nd wants to give me a hug

Konstantin

February 5th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

This was helpful! Thank you.

p.s. Don’t pay attention to comments some people make.

new exception

April 10th, 2013 at 10:19 am

great article, keep going

Oscar

June 12th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Great, thanks allot for this, the solution was so simple yet so elusive to a late night coder!

Graham

October 15th, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Nice work mate, never thought to use the box_count version of the like button, I found this worked slightly better though:

span.fb-like