Stop SOPA Blackout WordPress Plugin

12 Jan
2012

On the Tuesday 24th January 2012, the US Senate will vote on the internet censorship bill.

Download the SOPA Blackout WP Plugin Directly

28 Responses to Stop SOPA Blackout WordPress Plugin

Imperdibles (enero 11th – enero 16th) » Hipertextos [desde La Plata]

January 16th, 2012 at 7:01 pm

[...] Stop SOPA Blackout WordPress Plugin – Whilst it is an American law, it has far reaching repurcusions for the web as a whole. There are many companies against SOPA, such as Google, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, and today I am lending my weight to the argument by making this WP plugin. If you think SOPA doesn’t affect you, please think again. Watch the video below, download the plugin for your WP site, or use the form below to force politicians to take notice. [...]

Going dark against SOPA. | driph.com/words

January 16th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

[...] you’ve got a WordPress blog and want to join in, I recommend installing the SOPA Blackout plugin. It’s dead simple to set up, replaces your content for the day, and spits out a 503 so [...]

Beth @ In Good Cents

January 16th, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Does this plugin replace all pages with this, or just the main page? Also, the link about the Censorship Bill goes to Wikipedia will be down for the blackout. May want to encourage people to link to this page: http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/ for details.

Chais Meyer

January 17th, 2012 at 5:01 am

I’ve activated your ‘SOPA Blackout’ WordPress plugin and checked the ‘test’ box, to see what the blackout looks like…nothing happened on any of my three websites (tried a mulit-site network activate install and also per site activation)…any thoughts?

admin

January 17th, 2012 at 7:49 am

Beth – yes it replaces all pages.

I’ve seen a JS snippet that you can stick on individual pages that will put a layer above your site. However, thought this was less ‘blackout’ and more ‘venetian blinds’.

If there’s call for this today, I can add the option of just affecting the homepage.

admin

January 17th, 2012 at 7:53 am

@ChaisMeyer – the plugin relies on the

get_header()

hook. If you don’t have this in your template, there will be a problem. If this is the case, get in touch (I’ve sent you an email), let me know what WP functions you are using in your template(s) and I will rustle up a bespoke bit of code for you.

MaxH

January 17th, 2012 at 9:21 am

Just installed this, but as i live in Europe i cant select the right timezone. :/

Sainik

January 17th, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thanks for the plugin, amazing way to show our support for SOPA from here at DownloadCrunch. Keep up the good work

GR8FL

January 17th, 2012 at 10:38 am

I also activated your ‘SOPA Blackout’ WordPress plugin and checked the ‘test’ box, to see what the blackout looks like…nothing happened

admin

January 17th, 2012 at 10:40 am

@maxH – you only have to change the timezone if you want to co-ordinate with the US sites. Leaving timezones option blank will simply go with your default setting.

I have updated the FAQs for the plugin

admin

January 17th, 2012 at 10:41 am

@GR8FL – does your template use the

get_header()

tag? Which theme are you using? I’ll take a look…

Jim

January 17th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Thanks Toby for writing this plugin. Do you know if this works for mobile users as well? I use the WPtouch plugin for mobile visitors. Thanks.

Supporting the SOPA/PIPA Site Blackout Movement

January 17th, 2012 at 8:52 pm

[...] to Toby for making the WordPress SOPA Blackout plugin. Share [...]

Mike Little

January 17th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Hi,
A client of mine found a problem trying to activate the plugin.

You have three occurrences of short PHP tags.

Mike

Jim

January 17th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

The SOBA Blackout plugins works for mobile users as well, even if your blog uses the WPtouch plugin. The page isn’t particularly mobile friendly, but it shows.

admin

January 17th, 2012 at 11:04 pm

@Mike – thanks for that. You know, I felt sure I had left one in, but went through it twice and didn’t spot it. Thanks for the heads up. Changes going up now in version 1.4

admin

January 17th, 2012 at 11:08 pm

@Jim – sorry I didn’t get back in time. I was having dinner. Hopefully I will have time to make some adjustments to the mobile view tomorrow, even if it’s just

viewport

initial-scale

and a few other bits and bobs.

iftekhar

January 17th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Tested this plugin on my local server & it worked fine. Thank you once again and keep up the Good Work. Say NO to SOPA & PIPA.

DancesWithWords

January 18th, 2012 at 12:23 am

Thanks for the plugin. I’ll be using it on my website.

dantana

January 18th, 2012 at 6:29 am

plugin works great on our site http://www.okayplayer.com and http://www.okayafrica.com but we are getting blanks when using the url without the www.

okayplayer.com
okayafrica.com

way to fix?

Anita E

January 18th, 2012 at 7:07 am

I have get_() in my theme functions, but I still can’t get the plug-in to work.

admin

January 18th, 2012 at 7:45 am

@Anita

The only way version 1.4 of the plugin wouldn’t work is if the hook (the function that calls the plugin to load and fire) is being overridden by another theme/plugin/process somehow.

I had issues with WP Super Cache plugin which was bypassing the PHP altogether and serving cached pages, however this is now fixed.

What theme are you using?

Any caching plugins?

What URL are you testing?

If you would like to try and remedy it yourself, you could try finding line 314 of sopablackout.php and change the ‘template_rediect’ bit of the line as seen below:

add_action(‘template_redirect’, ‘sopablackout_content’);

… to one of the following:

muplugins_loaded
parse_request*
send_headers*
parse_query*
pre_get_posts*
posts_selection
wp*

I would start at the bottom and work upwards (please ignore the asterixes when copying and pasting.)

admin

January 18th, 2012 at 7:52 am

@dantana

Can you show me what the .htaccess file looks like, please?

Can’t think of anything obvious.

Actually, just looked up your with www and without on a DNS lookup service and I’m getting very strange results:

Sometimes I get a full record with your MX records in gmail and an A name resolving to 207.150.193.189 and other times I get no A name record or MX records at all.

Does it normally work? What happens if you disable the plugin?

Steven N. Ewald

January 18th, 2012 at 8:09 am

Hey guys,

The plugin works when I’m logged in and have “show to logged in users” enabled, but no other time! I’ll disable my caching but the same lack of blackout occurs when I open a new incognito tab in chrome so I’m not sure what’s up. Any ideas?

Thanks so much, really want to get this up!

admin

January 18th, 2012 at 8:21 am

Sounds like a time issue

Can you tell me what settings you have for timezone, date, start time and end time, please?

admin

January 18th, 2012 at 8:24 am

UPDATE

I am setting my timezone to 8am East Coast Time (New York), so I can stay open for support requests for longer.

How-To Join the SOPA Blackout with WordPress | ChurchMag

January 18th, 2012 at 10:28 am

[...] to WordPress, today?They have posted a SOPA Blackout page and you can easily add one, too!I used a similar plugin for my own site as well as others, in fact, WordPress not only has a long list of plugins to [...]

Wherever I May Roam… » Stop SOPA Blackout Day

January 19th, 2012 at 3:16 am

[...] I’ve recently participated in the Stop SOPA Blackout Day. And just now deactivated & deleted Toby Cox’ SOPA Blackout Plugin. [...]

Comment Form